A hair prosthesis (or cranial prosthesis) is a custom-made wig specifically designed for patients who have lost their hair as a result of medical conditions or treatments, such as alopecia areata, alopecia totalis, trichotillomania, chemotherapy, or any other clinical disease or treatment resulting in hair loss.
But how does it differ from a wig, you may ask.
People often use these terms interchangeably, but they are truly different. Basically, a wig is worn for cosmetic reasons, while cranial prosthesis are primarily used by people with health issues related to hair loss.
Additionally, cranial prosthesis are made more in detail than wigs. Each prosthetic is custom made to fit the shape of the patient's head. Cranial prostheses also feature materials that are custom designed to be comfortable for the patients head.
Here are some benefits of having a Cranial Prosthesis
1. Covered by many insurance companies!
2. Lasts up to 2 years and plus with proper maintenance!
4. Can be dyed, shampooed/conditioned, straightened/curled and swimming is allowed!
5. Comfortable around the ears
6. Perfect Fit/Mold Creation included for selected units!
7. Non-Allergenic/No irritation!